Alton Animal Control is located at the Public Works Building and is staffed with one Animal Control Officer. You can call Animal Control at 618.463.3553 for other redemption arrangements or animal control complaints. Also, call this number to report any animal situations. Please contact the Alton Police Department at 618.463.3505 for animal emergencies on nights and weekends.
DOG AND CAT REGULATIONS
- Alton does have and enforces a leash law
- The owner of any dog not under restraint shall be in violation of the City Code.
- Alton has a law requiring pet owners to clean up after their pets. Failure to do so could result in a fine.
- Pets cannot cause a nuisance for neighbors.
- Completed Application on File
- Please click here for an Application
- Resident can own a maximum of Five (5) Hens; Roosters are Prohibited
- Property Possesses a Single-Family Residential Zoning Classification
- Chicken Coop and Chicken Run are Located in the Rear Yard
- Chicken Coop and Chicken Run are a Minimum Ten Feet (10′) from the Nearest Property Line
- Fencing Exists to Prevent Free-Range Chickens
- A Metal Sealable Food Container is Present
- Chicken Feed Container that is Predator and Rodent Proof is Present
- Chicken Owner has a Plan to Dispose of Chicken Waste Materials
- Chicken Coop is of the Appropriate Size and Strength for the Number of Chickens Requested